My garden is producing tomatoes–red, ripe, beautiful tomatoes. I picked a large tomato and a handful of cherry tomatoes yesterday.
My assorted lilies are blooming abundantly. They are so delicate and detailed; it’s hard to imagine that they burst forth from little brown bulbs—at exactly the right time.
Each bloom of my lilies lasts only one day. One. Glorious. Day. If all you had was one glorious day, how would you spend it?
When I ponder the length of the gardening season or the lifespan of a lily in bloom, I am reminded of the brevity of each day.
I am grateful for this moment.
The topic of meditation and enjoying some silent space has come up in conversation numerous times this week.
I have an App on my phone that reminds me to give my sympathetic nervous system a break and breathe for 10 minutes. Or, the 1% (10 minutes) of my day I spend sitting quietly uplifts the other 99%.
There is a strong connection between our bodies and our minds. When our minds are going crazy, our bodies follow along.
The state of the mind has a direct impact on health. And the way we care for our bodies has a direct impact on our minds. Imagine!
Today, find some silent space in which to feel gratitude. Slow your mind and your body for a few brief moments.
If it feels uncomfortable, that’s okay. I would say that about 99% of the time, those things we do that are the most transformative are a bit uncomfortable.
Here’s some good news: unlike the tomatoes and lilies that take weeks or months to produce, the effects of some intentional quiet time has immediate benefits.
I’d love to hear how this exercise made you feel and what differences you noticed, if any.
“The quieter you become the more you are able to hear.”—Rumi