This slightly sweet recipe will give you energy on and off the trail. The nuts offer protein, fiber, and fat, along with some vitamins and minerals. A handful, about ¼ cup, makes a great snack any time of day.
- 2 cups raw walnuts (halves or coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup raw whole almonds (or cashew halves)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons coconut oil (or 1 to 1 ½ Tablespoons butter, cut in slices)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
Place nuts, sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla in a crock pot and mix. Place on High for 45 to 60 minutes and stir occasionally to prevent burning. Turn to Low and continue cooking for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, stirring a time or two. Place the nut mixture on paper towel to absorb excess oil, and let cool at least 15 minutes before mixing in the chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.